Monday, May 3, 2010

Rocky road

I used to bake a lot. But I haven't since Easter.


So last night I sat down with a pile of cookbooks. I flipped open the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook and came across their rocky road recipe. The picture looked devine but when I looked at their ingredients I was shocked - one and a half kg of chocolate as well as 8 normal sized bars, 100g of maltesers, marshmallows and a whole load of other baddies.
And it only served 12 people?!

So I decided to create my own similar recipe.

Warning: this is not at all healthy!
I chucked in a whole load of ingredients without measuring them that properly, but this is roughly what went in:

- Two large bars of milk chocolate (around 400g)
- About 1/5 block butter
- A couple of tablespoons of golden syrup
- a medium bag of maltesers
- Around 100g cornflakes
- Roughly 100g dried apricots (chopped)
- About 70g raisins
- Around 100g marshmallows (use mini ones or chop up large ones)


Melt the first three ingredients in a bowl over a simmering pan of water.
Then take the bowl off the heat and stir in the rest of the ingredients with a wooden spoon.
Pour into a large baking tray with sides lined with cling film.
Put in the fridge until it's set. It takes a one or two hours I think?
Take out and cut into pieces however big you want!


I used less than a quarter of the chocolate that they used in that heart-stopping recipe.
And half of mine served 8 piggy people today. The other half is still in the fridge.

In your face, Hummingbird Bakery!

xxx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...